Location: 512 East Grove St. (Directions)
Bus Line: Gray
- Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Saturday-Sunday: Programming Only
- Open Gym Hours vary, please call.
The Douglass Community Center is equipped with a full-size gymnasium with six basketball goals and a stage. The building is open for informal and organized programs and activities.
- Birthday Parties
- Health and Wellness
- Morning Walking 8-9:30
- Youth Special Interest
- Coca & Carols
- CU Days
- Egg Hunt
- L.E.A.D. Afterschool Program
- School Days Out Programs
- Summer Daycamps
- Teen Leadership/Mentoring Program
- Teen Recreational Activities & Special Events
- Teen Open Gym
- Adult Open Gym Basketball
- First String Youth Basketball Program
- HEAT Basketball Team
- Men's Basketball League
- Men's Basketball Tournaments
- Youth Sports Clinics
- In July of 1941 neighborhood residents formed "The Douglass Community Service Center Committee" and had a mass meeting to start fundraising efforts because the black community's needs were not being met with the inadequate, segregated facilities which existed at the time.
- By 1943, land adjacent to Douglass Park was acquired through increased efforts by the black community.
- In September of 1943 a second proposal to the federal government for a grant was made. The government agreed to offer $18,500 provided the community could raise an additional $14,500. Funds were raised from various groups including; the black community ($3000), Home and War Chest Organization ($2500), City of Champaign Recreation Department ($3500), City of Urbana ($2000), and the remainder funded by individual donations.
- Ground was broken for the new facility on Feb. 18, 1945
- Original construction cost of the 17,058 sq. ft building was $35,000
- Dedicated Sept. 23, 1945.